My Tangent – Why My Genealogy Blog and Macaroni, Ham ‘n Cheese

05 November 2009

Evening,

A good question… Why do I write this Blog? Pure and simple – it’s for me.

Initially I did it as a way to pass along my research and the work that I was doing delving into the genealogy and ancestry of my family. I found it as a way and a technique that made it easier for me, easier than the alternative of mailing multiple copies of documents that I had found, out to family, relatives, and friends around the world. It sure as hell is less expensive than cutting down all the trees. It has been a way to get the information out, without spending hours on the phone, holding the receiver or cell phone in one hand, and typing with the other one. (Oh, I’m an ambidextrous keyboarder.)

And genealogy can be bloody boring, especially when you start talking about who begat who, and who begat who, and so on. And the Blog avoids the “Here comes Smith again. He’s gonna corner me and talk my ear off about something about his family tree, and he should know that I really, really don’t care.” My Blog allows me, to allow you, to turn me off, without the slightest bit of embarrassment. Use your Delete button, as I always type.

Soon I was being asked “How did you do this?”, or “Where did you get that?” I was being asked a lot of questions, legitimate and sometimes ones that I just didn’t have any answers to. I did not get into genealogy to reveal the inner most secrets of, or to confront that which was precious family tales or lore that had been passed around for generations. I just go looking. I challenge myself to see what I can find. I look for what pieces of history I can find to gather to re-create a story.

I am not in the occupation of dispelling family history. I just ask questions: “Is that realistic?”; “Why was she named that way?”; “How does he relate to so-and-so?”; “Why does that not look right to me?”; “Why does that make sense, or not make sense to me?” and so on, and so on, and so on. I’m not in the business of discrediting anyone or anything. These are questions that I ask myself. This is how I find the details, sources, and documentation of that which I’m looking for.

And while I’m writing this I’m making tonight’s supper – Macaroni and Cheese. Elbow macaroni; cheddar, parmesan, and some mozzarella; onion, ham, and, celery; milk and flour… oh yeah, and fresh oregano from my farm; white pepper; butter; olive oil and paprika… Sauce made, pasta cooked, into the oven with a pan of water. Almost forgot Panko bread crumbs on top. And now, into the oven for 50 minutes. Supper tonight.

Over time the research exploded, and become more expansive. I had to organize myself. I now try to make sure that anyone who reads my Blog can pick and choose what he or she would like to read about and/or follow. There are four main and distinct thought processes going on at all time: Smith/Robertson genealogy; Brunhammer/Doherty genealogy; Quilting; and My Tangents… And I certainly know that there are more balls being juggled under each one of these topics, not including the other ones I'm attempting to keep up in the air. Hence my pursuit of my creation of a website is now necessary to compliment my Blog.

There are much more projects and quilting designs and that I would like to and intend to pursue.

And the peas and beans have sprouted, and it’s time to plant them in the garden. Here’s hoping that I will succeed, for the third time running.

Macaroni and Cheese out of the oven.

Enjoy,

Jim

1 comments:

Quilt Art - An esSBee Creation - Brunhammer Smith on November 6, 2009 at 8:38 AM said...

The mac and cheese was great!

Post a Comment

 
Please Note: All information and data... and work found on this blogsite and website is available for your use. Please do not be a "scab" and steal this information without acknowledgement of source. Also pleased be advised that there could be Copyright issues and legal yada...yadada...das... so be prewarned...

A Genealogy Hunt Copyright © 2009-2016 - WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template