My Tangent - Artichoke Frittata Recipe

14 December 2010

Afternoon,

And for something completely different... This ain't genealogy, nor quilting.

Thank you for the compliments received. I have been asked by a number for the recipe to the Artichoke Frittata that I mentioned in my earlier post. And no I am not a chef, I just love to cook. I actually borrowed the recipe for a Rosemary-Artichoke Frittata from the Low-Fat, Low Cholesterol Cookbook, published in 2004 by the American Heart Association.

I liked the counts per serving: 127 calories; 11 g carbohydrates and 11 mg cholesterol. These may have changed a smidgen as I substituted some of the ingredients.

Ingredients; with some adjustments:
  • Vegetable oil spray – I added some olive oil as well, ‘bout 1 teaspoon
  • 4 ozs fresh mushrooms sliced – I used the white ones and I sliced them thin.
  • 14-oz can artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped – I used the type that comes in water and in a glass jar… I think the ones in a can taste tinny. Make sure the knife is sharp otherwise you mush the hearts.
  • Egg substitute equivalent to 4 eggs – I used the 4 eggs.
  • ¼ cup fat-free milk – I used whole milk.
  • ¼ cup finely chopped green onions (green and white parts) – I used about 8 green onions, the stalky things.
  • ¼ cup finely snipped fresh parsley – I was not going to snip the damn parsley. I just chopped it up.
  • ½ teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled – I used about that… But isn't dried oregano already crumbled. I almost got some fresh from the garden, but I had already been outside in the bloody cold and I wasn't going out again.
  • ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed – And this is where I used fresh rosemary from the garden and chopped up about 1 tablespoon, and that’s why I wasn't going out into the garden again.
  • 3 medium Italian plum tomatoes, thinly slice crosswise – Did this, real thin.
  • ¼ teaspoon salt – I used sea salt.
  • ¼ teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled – I forgot this.
  • 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed – Again I used fresh rosemary. I chopped up about ½ a tablespoon.
  • 2/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese – I think I used about a cup, and it was the pre-shredded type from a plastic bag.

Instructions:
  1. Heat a 12-inch nonstick oven proof skillet over medium heat. Remove from the heat and lightly spray with vegetable oil spray (being careful not to spray near a gas flame). Return the skillet to the heat and cook the mushrooms for 3 to 4 minutes, or until slightly limp, stirring occasionally. I actually heat up the oils and threw in the mushrooms. I've never heard of a “limp mushroom before so I just browned them a bit”.
  2. In a medium bowl, (I always use a large-size bowl so as to keep the ingredients from splashing out), stir together artichoke hearts, eggs (or if you want egg substitute), milk, green onions, parsley, the first bit of oregano and rosemary.
  3. Pour the artichoke mixture evenly over the mushrooms. You got to use a spatula to spread it a bit.
  4. Cook, covered, over medium–low heat for 10 minutes, or until almost set. DO NOT STIR. (The mixture will appear to be very moist at this point…)
  5. Meanwhile, preheat the boiler.
  6. Remove the skillet from the heat. Arrange the tomato slices over the top. Sprinkle with salt, the next bit of oregano and rosemary. Top with the mozzarella.
  7. Broil for 2 minutes, or until the cheese is just beginning to turn golden. I did it a bit longer to get a bit more of a crispy topping.
  8. Let stand for about 5 minutes for easier slicing. Cut into four wedges.

It was really good the first day for supper… and we had the leftovers in a toasted sandwich for lunch, the next day.

Enjoy,

Jim

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Please Note: All information and data... and work found on this blogsite and website is available for your use. Please do not be a "scab" and steal this information without acknowledgement of source. Also pleased be advised that there could be Copyright issues and legal yada...yadada...das... so be prewarned...

A Genealogy Hunt Copyright © 2009-2016 - WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template