My Tangent – The Information and Communication Revolution

14 January 2010

Morning,

I’m really confused this morning trying to figure out exactly how many email addresses I have. I know that my advice has always been to manage the smallest number of addresses and accounts that one can, in order to maintain one’s sanity… but this morning I think I just lost it.

Technologically things are happening so, so fast that it is a wonder that my fingers do not have nervous breakdowns. With the advent of new and more possibilities in this information and communication revolution it is certainly perplexing and downright exasperating when I sit down and try to fathom what I should do or learn next. What new genealogy offering can I now find online?

Technologically things are happening so, so fast that it is a wonder that my fingers do not have nervous breakdowns. With the advent of new and more possibilities in this information and communication revolution it is certainly perplexing and downright exasperating when I sit down and try to fathom what I should do or learn next. What new genealogy offering can I now find online?

This morning I thought that I would check the brief news notes that I get to read of what’s happening… and of course I got side-tracked into the area of cloud-computing and online storage and the pending charges. It looks like the day is just coming around the corner where that “free” online storage is gonna be at a price. The big companies are realizing that there may be a new source of untapped fiscal resources out there.

Here’s my thought process. The monoliths of the Internet get Joe Public reeled into the “free storage” angle of their offerings. “It’s a great place to keep your files…” “You can access your work and genealogy storage from any PC, Notebook, and Mobile Phone that you can log on to.” Everybody signs up hence the tremendous amount of “traffic”; that is, the number of times Jane User logs in to see her files.

The source of tentative income is the grabbing of the online surfer who may enter to a firm’s website, and maybe, just maybe use this portal to conduct online shopping. The number of “clicks” one links over to a website is the way a firm may budget potential income. And so a source of advertising and marketing is to purchase “link-capabilities” and “attrack-abilites” on other websites and blogs. And the websites with the greater traffic, that is, the greater the number of hits by surfers, equals the greater potential and opportunities of clients entering your “shop door” and buying from you website.

Well, my prediction is that the “free storage” is not going to be as free to the general user who continues to store or not delete their files online. The penalty-phase is coming. Just check around and see. Also online advertising budgets are decreasing therefore that source of monies is beginning to erode. And who should pay? Just stop and think… You!

And back to my problem this morning… I’m trying to log in to my Live.com account, and I can’t remember my password or the name of my first dog… the name that I used. They offer to send me, via email a temporary password. The issue is I do not know my password and so I cannot log in to my email server to see the email that has the temporary password.

And I feel extremely stupid.

Enjoy,

Jim

1 comments:

Quilt Art - An esSBee Creation - Brunhammer Smith on January 14, 2010 at 11:57 AM said...

I don't think I would call you stupid!

Post a Comment

 
Please Note: All information and data... and work found on this blogsite and website is available for your use. Please do not be a "scab" and steal this information without acknowledgement of source. Also pleased be advised that there could be Copyright issues and legal yada...yadada...das... so be prewarned...

A Genealogy Hunt Copyright © 2009-2016 - WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template