Part 236s – Smith Robertson Genealogy – Indenture Research – 1828 James Smith

12 March 2010

Morning,
And sometimes I wonder at times when I stay awake all night perplexing over the fact that the smallest dog in my house, which has decided to sleep on my back, in the bed, keeping me from falling asleep while I’m thinking that she just might start out of a dream and then snap and sink her canines into the fleshy part of my arm that’s above the cover. It certainly not the monsters under my bed that are keeping me awake, so-to-speak… That’s the other 11-pounder snuggled on her bed under my bed. And I’ll more than likely fall asleep at my keyboard today.

I completed my next genealogy transcription last night. This Record is made up of pages 163, 164, and 165 from the Grenada Registers of Records, 1817-1837 (v. R2-Z2) found in Item 6 of the microfilm FHL [1563329]. This is the only Smith-related Record that I could find in Item 6.

And is it of ggg-grandfather James Smith? There is a good possibility that it is. The only problem is that there does not appear to be any hint or clue as to his origins or ancestry.

As in Part 234s, I was able to cross-reference persons named in this Record in a number of pages from the accountings presented in the Slave Registers from former British Colonial Dependencies, 1812-1834.


All-things-being-equal this James Smith is ggg-grandfather James.

And here are the pages of the Record:


My transcription:
(163)
Entered 22d August 1828
Grenada
Know all Men by these presents
that I Victor Labarrie of the Island of Grenada for and in
consideration of the Sum of Nine hundred Pounds Current Money
of the Island of Grenada, aforesaid to me in hand well and truly
paid by James Smith of the Island of Grenada at or before
the sealing and delivery of these presents / the Receipt

whereof
(164)
Whereof I do hereby acknowledge / have granted bargained
also enfeoffed and confirmed, and by these presents do grant
bargain, sell, enfeoff and confirm unto the said James Smith
his Heirs Assigns, Five certain Negro Male Slaves called
Liverpool, Peare, John, George, Cook and Thomas and the
Reversion and Reversions, Remainder and Remainders,
Rents, Issues and Profits thereof, and all the Estate, Title
and Interest, Use, trust, Property claim and Demand
whatsoever either at Law or Equity of I the said Victor
LaBarrie of, in , or to the said slaves Liverpool, Peare, John
George, Cook and Thomas to have and to hold the said slaves
and all and singular other the Premises to the said James Smith
his Heirs and Assigns, to the only proper use and behoof of the said
James Smith his Heirs and Assigns for ever. And I do hereby warrant
and defend the said slaves Liverpool, Peare, John, George,
Cook and Thomas unto and to the use of the said James Smith
his Heirs and Assigns for ever. In witness whereof I have
hereunto set my hand and seal this ninth day of August in
the year of our Lord One thousand Eight hundred and Twenty
Eight.

Victor LaBarrie (LS)
Sealed and Delivered in the presence of
Jos. Julien –
Grenada
Received on the Day of the within Bill
of Sale, of and from the therein named James Smith the Sum of
Nine hundred Pounds Currency being the full consideration
Money therein mentioned to be by him to me paid I say received
£900 – Curry.

Victor LaBarrie
Witness
Jos. Julien
Be it remember That on the Ninth day of August
One thousand Eight hundred and Twenty eight Livery Seizen

and
(165)
And peaceable possession of the slave within menteiond was made
and given by the said Victor LaBarrie the Feoffer in the foregoing Deed
named, to the said James Smith according to the force form and
effect of the same deed, in the presence of

Jos. Julien
Grenada –
Acknowledged before me by Citor
LaBarrie Esquire the Party executing the foregoing Bill of
Sale this twenty second day of August One thousand Eight hun-
dred and Twenty eight.

Ousley Rowley
Reg
Here are the copies pages 326 and 64 from the Slave Registers.


And I’ve been asked as to reason that I request that anyone who would like to make a comment must inadvertently sign up for access. The reason, which of course happened last night, is to avoid the onslaught of spam and un-invited garbage remarks. Last night’s epistle was in Chinese and thanks to Google’s Translator I was able to “cut it off at the pass” and report it as undesirable spam.

And thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

Enjoy,

Jim

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Please Note: All information and data... and work found on this blogsite and website is available for your use. Please do not be a "scab" and steal this information without acknowledgement of source. Also pleased be advised that there could be Copyright issues and legal yada...yadada...das... so be prewarned...

A Genealogy Hunt Copyright © 2009-2016 - WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template