Part 81r - Robertson Records - A New Surname Found: Jaques

02 October 2009

As my genealogy research has continued about great-grandaunt Agnes (maybe) Miller Robertson I have had the fortune to stumble upon a new bit of genealogical evidence. Following my discussions in Parts 68r; 69r; 71r; 72r; 73r; and 75r. I had discovered that she, great-grandaunt Agnes had had an older sister, great-grandaunt Margaret Ann.

Great-grandaunt Margaret Ann's name appears, as listed in the 1841 and 1851 England Censuses. (See Parts 69r and 71r.) She does not appear on the 1861 Census. Possible reasons:
  1. At 22 years old she had left home to seek her fortune elsewhere;
  2. She had got married, somewhere between Liverpool and Tynemouth or elsewhere; and
  3. She had passed away.

All possible reasons, and with a relatively come name Margaret Robertson, (sort of like Jim Smith) I decided to put my research for her on a back-burner.

Her relationship to me is collateral, further removed by the fact that she was my half-great-grandaunt. Any search and research into the lives of my collateral ancestors in most cases is to assist me to discover and reveal information of my direct and immediate blood lines.

I was continuing my train of thought into the life of her sister great-grandaunt Agnes (maybe) Miller Robertson as I was searching for more information as to her relationship with her father, great-great-grandfather John Robertson.

It was then that I stumbled upon a marriage entry that made reference to a father, John Robertson who had been (was) an Iron moulder, (see Part 70r). The bride's name was Margaret Ann Robertson. Her age, 20 years, and the location, the Parish of Islington, in the County of Middlesex. There is a great possibility that this is great-grandaunt Margaret Ann Robertson who was born in 1839 in North Shields, Northumberland, England. And her new husband is Henry Hersey Jaques. (Make sure, not Jacques but Jaques.) And the marriage entry of Saint Paul Canonbury follows:

1859 Marriage Registration
Sources: London Metropolitan Archives, UK and Ancestry.co.uk


Transcribed -
Page 38

1859. Marriage solemnized at the District Parish Church of St. Paul in the Parish of Islington in the County of Middlesex


No. 75
When Married. October 30th.
Name and Surname. Henry Hersey Jaques, Margaret Ann Robertson

Age. 20, 20
Condition. Bachelor, Spinster
Rank or Profession. Jeweller, -
residence at the time of Marriage. 35 Rotherfield Street, 15 Albion Place
Father's Name and Surname. Thomas Jaques, John Robertson
Rank or Profession of Father. Watchmaker, Iron Moulder


Married in the District Parish Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church by ______ or after Banns by me,
Samuel Brewer, Curate.

This Marriage was solemnized between us, {Henry Hersey Jaques, Margaret
Ann Robertson}
in the Presence of us, {Robert Harriʃson, Ellen Abigail Jaques

Bob check out one of the witness' names.

And of course it just doesn't stop there. I went looking for the records of the published banns of the 1859 Jaques/Robertson marriage, but at this point I have not had any success. But... and but, I next stumbled upon the 1861 England Census of great-grandaunt aunt Margaret and her husband, Henry under the surname of Jakes. A number of points tie: names, ages, his occupation, her place of birth.

As follows:


1861 England Census
Sources:The National Archives, UK and Ancestry.co.uk

Transcribed -
The undermentioned Houses are situate with the Boundaries of the
Parish [or Township] of St. Leonard Shoreditch
Town of Part of Boro of Tower Hamlets
Ecclesiastical District of Christ Church Hoxton


No. of Schedule 134
Road, Street. &c., and No., or Name of House 9 Bristow Street
Name and Surname of each Person Henry Jakes, Margaret do
Relation to Head of Family Head, Wife
Condition Mar,
Age of Males 21, Females 22
Rank, Profession, or Occupation Hooking? Jeweller
where Born Do (Middlesex) St. Lukes, Northumbd North Shields

I'm not sure of what type of Jeweller Henry Jaques (aka Jakes) is. Any ideas?

Next, and as I was thinking that this posting would be a short one, I tripped on the baptismal record of their first child, 1st cousin twice removed Margaret Agnes Jaques. From the page of the Parish Register...


1861 Baptism Entry
Sources: London Metropolitan Archives, UK and Ancestry.co.uk

And transcribing this one.
Page 45

BAPTISMS solemnized in the Parish of Christchurch Hoxton
in the County of Middlesex in the Year of 1861

When Baptized. 1861 August 18 No. 359
Child's Christian Name. Margaret Agnes dr. of
Parents' Name.
Christian. Henry Hersey & Margaret Ann (deceased)
Surname. Jaques
Abode. 11 Parr Street
Quality, Trade, or Profession. Jeweller

By whom the Ceremony was performed. HYP Kelly Incumbent 24 July 1861

And had I not enlarged the image I would never have see the writing "(deceased)" included under great-grandaunt Margaret's name. I was a bit curious when the Abode is entered as 11 Parr Street. This would explain why I have not been able to find great-grandaunt Margaret (née Robertson) Jaques' name in an 1871 England Census.

After a quick search, I discovered the entries of death from both great-grandaunt Margaret Ann and her daughter, 1st cousin twice removed Margaret Agnes. They both are recorded in the Death Index as passing away in the 3rd Quarter 1861.



1861 Death Index
Source: find my past.com

It would appear that great-grandaunt Margaret Ann must of passed away just prior to the baptism of her daughter Margaret Agnes, who then shortly passed on, there-after. I can not tell from the information entries whether great-granduncle Henry Jaques had also passed away around the same time. There are two Henry Jaques recorded on the same page. One of the Henry Jaques' passing is recorded in the same volume as that of the other two, but I will not render any guess until I see the actual death registration.

I am a wee bit disappointed that there lives were taken at such a young age... and I am somewhat disheartened that I could not get to know more of them.

I found an excerpt entitled "Behind Shoreditch" from a publication "Ragged London in 1861", written by John Hollingshead and published in London by Smith, Elder & Co., 1861. A complete publication of "Ragged London" in 1861 can be found at Google Books. It certainly makes me sit and think. Not a pretty picture, and I further realize that I can't always portray just the pleasantries of my ancestors.

Please feel free to contact me via email or comment to my work on the Blog.

Thanks,

Jim


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Please Note: All information and data... and work found on this blogsite and website is available for your use. Please do not be a "scab" and steal this information without acknowledgement of source. Also pleased be advised that there could be Copyright issues and legal yada...yadada...das... so be prewarned...

A Genealogy Hunt Copyright © 2009-2016 - WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template